Banking, Finance & Capital Markets
As one of Asia's fastest growing economies, the Philippines has become a vibrant and dynamic hub for international business expansion and foreign investments. Amidst this globalized and complex environment, legal advisors are constantly challenged to be 'on the game' – easily accessible, quick to respond, and above all, able to give clear and concise industry insights from a local perspective.
Our firm takes pride in delivering speedy results without foregoing attention to detail. We provide only the most relevant information and advice that will help in your decision-making process and guide you towards achieving the best results.
Moreover, PJS Law has developed an expertise in the various aspects of business, finance and capital markets, particularly in matters such as the sale and purchase of distressed assets under the Special Purpose Vehicle Act or SPAV Law; debt financing and security documentation; compliance with the requirements of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (Central Bank of the Philippines); capitalization requirements and other reportorial and regulatory matters; foreign trade and currency transactions; trust operations, and compliance with banking laws.
- The firm acted as counsel to Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd. in acquiring 20% of the voting stock of Security Bank Corporation – the largest equity investment in a Philippine financial institution by a foreign firm after the liberalization of the banking sector in 2014.
- We assisted Cavite Biofuel Producers, Inc. in the negotiation and financial close for the establishment of a 125,000-liter/day biofuels production and power generation plant in Magallanes, Cavite.
- The robust growth of the Philippine economy provides opportunities for several companies to tap into the debt capital markets for the expansion of their projects. Our BFCM team has acted as counsel for both issuers and joint managers and lead arrangers for these types of transactions. Highlights from this experience include: assisting the Philippine government in the issuance of multicurrency retail treasury bonds for Overseas Filipino Workers; the PHP240-Billion bond issuance of Aboitiz Equity Ventures; and the corporate notes issuance of the Center for Agriculture and Rural Development, Inc. as the first and only microfinance institution to have successfully tapped the debt market.
- As counsel to the Bureau of Treasury, through Coffey International Pty Ltd., we assisted in the establishment of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) of the Republic of the Philippines. The TSA is intended to consolidate the public sector's cash resources into a single account to be maintained at the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (Central Bank of the Philippines). The scheme will also allow for a more efficient use of resources and provide a greater transparency in the use of public funds.
- We have also established a solid reputation in providing our clients with exceptional loans and project finance transactions.